Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Spring Things



I made some Spring Chick & Egg Peep Cupcakes for Jonas' 1st birthday a couple of years ago.
(YIKES! Has it already been that long!) He is a Spring baby, so I wanted to share my little creations with you. I used noodles and melted marshmallows to create nests similar to "rice krispy treats". Then I perched a Peep marshmallow chick on top, along with a few Malted milk eggs.  Then I placed them on top of a frosted cupcake.
For his first birthday cake I used the edible grass, which is actually kind of tasty, and formed a nest for the peeps and eggs with that. I used Angel food for the cake and cupcakes, because it was his first time to encounter sweets and I thought that would be an okay transition for him. It served its purpose well, but under any circumstance, I would probably recommend a firmer cake recipe.

My mom brought over a lot of fancy party food and it was devoured by guests - as usual. She is an amazing hostess and can whip up some amazing food in no time. She even cut out the sandwiches to look like little ducks. So cute!
I made a center piece with a Springy window flower pot and some floral stems, snipped from a different project. I mounted multi-colored balls to the tops for fun & interest and used moss to cover the foam holding the stems in place. Thank you Dollar Store.


Please enjoy the pics and ideas, but if you repost my pics please let me know! ;) Unfortunately - we didn't have a good camera at the time, but you should be able to get an idea. ;)

1 comment:

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

What a cute party idea for your little one!! Thanks for linking up to Someday Crafts for Categorically Crafting!