Sunday, September 20, 2009

Rolled Diaper Cake - Looks good enough to eat....almost

Here's my "How To" for a "Rolled Diaper" diaper cake. As you may know from my previous posts, I'm working on several projects for an upcoming "Pickles & Ice Cream" baby shower I'm helping host for my good friend, Crystal.

Supplies to Get Started: 1 Box diapers
(I used Size 1 Pamper's Swaddlers - 92 diapers in box)
Clear rubber hair bands
( Regular rubber bands may be used, I just feel like these make the project look a little more "put-together)
Cardboard Cake Base (12-13")
Regular Large Rubber bands
String or thin ribbon
Wide Decorative Ribbon
Topper of some kind
(I'm going to go with a topper that goes along with the theme of the party)
Double-sided tape or hot glue gun

Some people opt to use bottles or another center stabilizer. This time, I chose to use only diapers, because the box I chose to purchase was large, and I wanted to use as many of the diapers as possible.

1. Rock & Roll: Get some good music pumping & prepare your hands for some rolling action! Roll each of your diapers as neatly as possible starting from the decorative outside & rolling in - toward the center of the diaper. (This method of rolling will not expose the diaper graphics, however diapers can be rolled to leave this exposed if that's the look you're going for).

2. Center & Snap: Once you've got a diaper rolled tightly & neatly, find the center of the diaper and neatly align a clear rubber band. This will hold your rolled diaper neatly in place, while maintaining the integrity of the diaper for later use.


3. Tiering Up: This is the part that can get a little tricky. You'll want to assemble the diapers in circles. For this project I'm making 3 separate tiers. This may take some practice, but with some patience, you should be able to form great-looking circles out of your rolled diapers and hold them together using rubber band (on the top & possibly 2nd layer) and string on the large base tier.


Typical diaper formula might be as follows
:
Top: 1 diaper, surrounded by 6 diapers = 7 Middle: 1-6-12= 19 Base: 1-6-12-19= 38 For a total use of 64 diapers

I modified my formula a bit, to fit all 92 Size 1 Pampers Swaddlers diapers into my rolled diaper cake. Formula for 92 Diapers:
Top: 3-9 = 12 Middle: 4-10-16= 30 Bottom: 1-5 -10 -15-19=50

Once all of your layers are complete, you may begin stacking them onto the cardboard base for stability.

4. Icing on the Cake: When you've got your tiers created, it's time to cover up the rubber bands using your decorative ribbon. Have fun & go wild. Secure the ribbon to itself with double-sided tape or hot glue. Then, put your topper on the 1st tier, and cover your creation with bags until the big day!




5. Ooh La La:
Set up your creation at the big event & smile as your important guest enjoys her beautiful centerpiece. You've done a great job & created a beautiful centerpiece that is also practical for baby! Great job!


I told you I was making my ice cream scoop fizzy bath bombs for a special occasion. Well, here it is! With a cherry on top! ;)



The shower was so cute, and so was Crystal. She is expecting any time now, and we can't wait to meet baby Evan! The girls that helped organize the shower did such a great job. It was nice getting to meet everyone. I had a great time helping! Hopefully I can get some better non-iphone pics from the party soon. ;)

2 comments:

Elisabeth said...

That is so awesome! What a great job - you're so creative!!

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

I have ALWAYS wondered how to make one of these. Fabulous tutorial, and it turned out AWESOME!! Makes me want to throw a baby shower!

Thanks for linking up to baby week!