Thursday, May 10, 2012

Melt-in-your-Mouth Quiche

Today I want to share my recipe for a melt-in-your-mouth quiche that is a proven family favorite at our house.  My handsome husband - who could not stand quiche previously- requests mine any time we have a carton of eggs in the fridge. I love making it because it's versatile and relatively easy. The kids love it too, and I love that they are getting plenty of good veggies every time they eat it!  




My recipe was adapted from the "Joy of Cooking" cookbook.  The version I made is gluten-free, but made with regular all-purpose flour it's delicious. 


The Crust: 
"Pat in the Pan-Cheddar/Parmesan Crust"
1. Preheat oven to 425
2. Toss the following ingredients together in a bowl:
      - 1/2 cup lightly packed extra sharp cheddar cheese (or 3/4 cup if omitting         
        parmesan cheese)
      - 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
      - 2/3 cup gluten-free or all purpose flour 
      - 1/2 teaspoon of salt (I use kosher salt)
      - 6 Tbl (3/4 stick) cold butter, cut into 1/4inch pieces
3.. Cut butter into ingredients until mixture is the consistency of coarse crumbs
4. Press and pat dough directly into pan, lining bottom and sides. Thoroughly        
    prick bottom of crust with fork.
5. Bake in oven at 425 for 18-22minutes - until golden brown, then remove and    
    paint with uncooked egg-yolk & pinch of salt, covering evenly. Return to   
    oven with this glaze for 1-2 minutes to set. 


Select Your Ingredients:
      This time I used fresh Roma tomatoes, spicy turkey breakfast sausage, fresh    (minced) green onions, fresh minced spinach, Fresh minced basil, cheddar cheese, and bacon crumbles. 
      I usually see what I have and improvise based on what's available. Feta cheese is a favorite of mine, but I didn't have any this time!  
      I also chose to incorporate the egg-white into my recipe that was left from the egg yolk I separated to use on the crust. Using more yolks makes the quiche a bit richer, but the extra egg white added a fluffiness that I appreciated.




Making the Quiche filling:
      1. Remove prepared crust from oven.
      2. Preheat oven to 375. 
      3. After selecting and preparing ingredients by mincing, whisk together the          
         following: 
            1 cup milk
            1 cup Half & Half or Cream
                  (You can use just milk, but the more cream you use, the richer the   
                   quiche will be.)
                  3 eggs (plus remaining egg white/optional)  
            1/8 teaspoon black pepper
            1 pinch of ground/grated nutmeg
            1/4 teaspoon of salt if salty meats are not used in quiche (I omitted this)
        4. Whisk in minced vegetables (spinach, basil, green onions)
        5. Sprinkle the base of the crust with selected meats (bacon and sausage)  
            and heavy vegetable items like tomatoes
        6. Cover with 1/4 cup of cheddar or parmesan cheese
        7. Pour the custard-like mixture over the meat, into the crust




Return to oven to bake for 35-40 minutes until top is golden brown, and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.


Slice with spatula and Enjoy!!!! 





















2 comments:

Kaycie Christine said...

That. Looks. Delicious.

Mickey said...

Have to try these :)
mickey